UBC 1997 and ACI 318-1999

I have a question regarding UBC 1997 and ACI-318 1999 for code requirements
of structural concrete.

UBC 1997 Chapter 19 on concrete is patterned after ACI-318 1995. If you have
a new concrete building structure currently on the "drawing board" do most
engineers design to ACI-318 1999 (because it is the latest requirements) or
do you still design to the UBC 1997 requirements, or does your local
building official/agency have the say?

My main areas of concern are minimum reinforcement, crack control, rebar
spacing etc.

TIA

Regards,

Mark Geoghegan BE (Hons.-Structural)