RE: UBC 1997 and ACI 318-1999

Mark,

Your local building code official will tout the "minimum" legal
requirements.  And you can hang your tort defense on the minimum legal
requirements.  That, however, does not reflect the current state of the
practice.  If you are a lawyer, you are covered.  If you are an engineer,
you need to at least consider the state of the practice.

Changes in the code are not capricious.  Codes are changed for specific
reasons.  I am very familiar with most of the ACI 318-99 changes, and I
would urge you to use the ACI 318-99.  I recommend this not just because it
is the latest requirement, but because the changes reflect the work of
research and observations of many dedicated committee seasoned engineers.  I
have debated with some of the ACI 318 committee members, they know their
concrete.

That said, if the issue is serviceability, I MIGHT be more given to go to
the less stringent requirements.  It hinges on engineering judgement.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague