RE: UBC 1997 and ACI 318-1999

I generally use the adopted code, e.g. use ACI 318-95 provisions when UBC
1997 is the adopted code. In the rare instance where the newer code may
relax previous requirements, you may be in violation of the adopted code if
you use a different but newer code. (Although not a structural issue, I saw
this happen to an Architect where a newer code relaxed sprinkler
requirements for some types of construction and the building official
required the design to meet the older code, after the design had been
completed.)