Re: Calculation Submittal

Mark,

The answer to your question would have to be "habit".  I was taught early in
my career to provide calculations with references to the codes or books
where information is taken from.  I also clearly state assumptions and
provide partial written commentary within the calculations for various
design decisions or rationales.  The phrase that comes to mind is
"footprints in the snow".  I or anyone else can pick up the calcs years
later and see exactly what was done, and where the information came from.
Is this "correct", I would not presume to say. I can only speak for myself,
this approach is how I was initiated and has worked very well for me over
time, particularly when modifying previous buildings.  I probably work much
harder than I have too, but that is a personal problem. :-)

The UBC does reference the other codes as well as approved alternate
national standards.  But the manuals listed are much more than simply the
UBC referenced codes in my mind.  There is the additional wealth of
information provided in tables, design aids, and commentary that are not
necessarily part of the adopted specifications referenced in the UBC.  We
list them at the beginning and then reference the various areas whenever the
information is utilized in the calculations.  Again, is this "correct", I do
not know, but it is my interpretation.

As to whether I feel compelled to give the owner a warranty, I can honestly
say that I am a better engineer than businessman. :-)  I spoke with my
liability attorney this morning after reading your post and she was mildly
horrified.  In light of what was discussed we are looking at revising or
deleting the wording of the initial sentence "All calculations and
specifications conform to the established guidelines set forth by:".  For
this I thank you.

Paul Feather