RE: Vibration problems

>A cheaper solution would be
>to first try to add mass to the platform.  You are correct in that for a
>given forcing function the 2 methods of control are stiffness and mass.
>Vibration dampers control the stiffness.
I'm gonna stick my neck way out and quibble with Harold Sprague, but
adding mass to the platform lowers the natural frequency of the system.
And vibration dampers control amplitude at resonance by absorbing
energy--no effect on frequency. You can add mass to move a resonance
point below some fixed excitation frequency, but that's about it. I've
also seen shock mounts which are soft enough to decrease a frequency but
the trade-off is that the displacements tend to increase as the
accelerations drop off, which may not be desirable.

Increasing a structural frequency by a factor of two is a tricky job.
Since the frequency goes with the square root of stiffness/mass, you'll
need to decrease the mass by a factor of four, since your stiffness is
fixed. The fact that some of your mass is in the roof girders makes it
even tougher.

I've tried increasing structural frequencies a few times with machinery
and invariably ran into the fact that it's very difficult to add
stiffness without adding mass. If you double the stiffness and increase
the mass by, say, 30%, your frequency increase is only about 25%. You
might try looking at your frequency assesment and make sure you haven't
over-simplified it. It's very tempting to assume pinned supports and
ignore inconveniently complicated support conditions, but I suspect
you'll be very hard-pressed to increase the frequency as much as you want
if you fail to take advantage of everything. You might want to try
attaching your platform to a stiffer point on the girder, closer to the
girder supports. Could be your platform mass could be decreased, too.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw