RE: Mortar Field Test

Todd,

Mortar is generally tested in cubes not cylinders, but either can be used.
The appropriate test for mortar is ASTM C-780.    There is a good discussion
of mortar testing that was put out by the Minnesota Concrete Masonry Assoc.,
"Recommended Practices for Specifying and Testing Masonry Mortars for
Concrete Masonry".  In that document they state C-780 was not intended to
compare the field results with C-270 or UBC Std. 21-16.  The intent of C-780
is for monitor consistency.

ACI 530 puts you in a bind in the QA requirements.  They give you a bunch of
tests, but do not give you acceptance criteria as you find in ACI 318.

If compressive strength is a concern as opposed to consistency, you should
probably be doing prism testing as opposed to the unit strength method.

If you review ACI 530.1 Sect 1.4 B, you will find that masonry mortar
testing is not required under the unit strength method.  It is confusing.
That is why you are better off just referencing the QA requirements of ACI
530.1 and be done with it.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague