RE: Calculation Submittal

Actually, my response is the following:

When I do my designs and drawings, I put all the information on the
drawings that the subcontractor needs to perform their portion. For
example: light gage metal studs. My general notes sheet has all the wind
loads listed (parapets based on ASCE 7-95 notes). All the sub has to do
is calculate his framing based on my loads, submit his calcs signed and
sealed and he is home free.

In addition, I have received a cover letter signed and sealed the subs
has reviewed the projects requirements and designed accordingly. The
cover letter also adds some verbage that based on his signature and seal
that he has accepted the responsibility for his design. In this case, I
quickly review his calcs and mark them approved.

Every once in a while the sub decides to recalculate his own wind loads
based on his interpretation. These will probably get marked as rejected
and for him to resubmit based on the loads given.

For my submittal to the township, I was attempting to submit a similar
cover letter so that the township reviewer leaves me alone.

Mitchell J. Sklar, P.E.
Senior Structural Engineer

BALA Consulting Engineers, Inc.
(mjs(--nospam--at)bala.com)