From: Foy, Warren [mailto:Warren.Foy(--nospam--at)mhgrp.com]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 9:09 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Masonry reinforcing

I failed to mention that there is a brick veneer on the exterior side so
there is access to only one side.

I have a project under construction on which the reinforcing steel in the
masonry walls have been found to have been put in incorrectly.  These walls
are non-loadbearing walls subjected to 25 psf wind loads and are shear wall.
I would like to ask this forum two question concerning the intent of ACI
530.

1.  The dowels extending from the foundation appear to have been installed
correctly but the upper bars are in question.  Can the bottom section of a
wall be considered reinforced and analysed using chapter 7 and 8 of ACI 530
and the middle and upper sections of the same wall considered unreinforce
to meet the criteria of chapter 6?

2.  Chapter 8 of ACI 530 indicates required lap splices of 0.002 Fs db or 48
bar diameters and developement lengths of 0.0015 Fs db or 36 bar diameters.
Can these lengths be reduced as a function of (As provided)/(As required) as
allowed by ACI 318?

Also, do you have any suggestion as to how to add reinforcing bars in an
existing masonry wall?

Warren S. Foy
Structural Design Manager
The Mason & Hanger Group Inc.