Re: Tension Only Braces Seismic Zone 3

Peder
You should look at the provisions cited in section 2213.8.5 which is a way
out to allow the cross bracing as intended by Steel Building Manufacturers
except that you might have a heavier structure as noted in your post.  The
one thing I would caution about is the deflection of the rod under it's own
weigh, regardless of tension force put on the brace to stay straight, and
the thermal elongation of the steel due to temperature variations.
Could you consider an Ordinary Moment frame with over strenght factor for
the beam column connection, using a fully restaraind connection?  Perhaps
Charlie Carter have a more insight on this.
Good luck
Samir Y. Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & Associates