ACI 530 Masonry ASD

ACI 530-99 has some rather confusing provisions within Chapter 2, Allowable
Stress Design. An engineer in my office asked me why "strength reduction
factors" are being applied under allowable stress design - based on Section
2.1.1.2.3.3. It took me a while to figure it out, but as far as I can tell,
Section 2.1.1.2.3 seems to only apply to "strength design" even though it is
in the "Allowable Stress Design" chapter.

Section 2.1.1.2.3 states that this section only applies for masonry "not
designed in accordance with Section 1.1.3". Section 1.1.3 requires masonry
to be designed per one of the given Chapters, including Chapter 2 for
Allowable Stress Design. So if you are not designing in accordance with
Chapter 2, this subsection of Chapter 2 applies - Huh?!

I assume that the intent is that if you are not using allowable stress
design per this code, then you should use the ASCE load factors and given
strength reduction factors. Unfortunately it does not explicitly say this,
and it is very confusing talking about "strength design" requirements in a
chapter on allowable stress design.

Has anyone else tried to apply this code to allowable stress design of
masonry? Is my interpretation correct?

(Note: The next revision for this code is currently out for public review
via the ACI website or www.masonrystandards.org, but this section has not
been clarified in the proposed revisions. If someone can help me understand
the intent, I will send in comments to clarify this document.)

William C. Sherman, PE
Camp Dresser & McKee, Inc.
Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311