Pipe Rack

My question is concerning thermal expansion of steel.  The difference from
day to night time temp. is 50-55 degrees F.  I have an elevated pipe rack, 18
ft. To supports fully exposed all day to direct sun.  the sections between
supports is 30' with a total straight run of  210ft.  The question is should
I calc the expansion and induced stresses on the 30' or the 210'.  The beams
are welded to the column caps 1/4" fillet 6" each side. I thought that 2 -
1"expansion joints would be necessary. Any thoughts ??

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA