Re: Structural engineering undergraduate looking for ideas

Dear David:

In my opinion you should apply your learnining in
various undergraduate courses in your thesis work. In
other words you should choose a topic of thesis which
covers actual on site application of planning,
surveying, soil testing, foundation & superstructure
design and drawing preparation, if possible
construction as well. Your teacher supervisor should
be able to help you in various steps of investigation,
design, construction etc activities. If getting a
construction job is not possible at least you can
select a suitable site, carryout site surveying, do
soil investigation, design various components of the
structure and prepare construction drawings for the
same.This will provide you a good insight and
experience in various investigation & design processes
that you might have studied in your undergraduate
program. I feel you should be able to make use of the
resources available at your college and this should
provide you a cheap and most balanced experince.

Hope the idea suits you.

-H.N.Singh.
--- David Mc Swiney <mucdearg(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:

<HR>
<DIV>
<DIV>I'm a final year student in D.I.T. in Dublin,
Ireland. I'm currently looking for thesis
topic.Unfortunately my original idea (post tensioning
a beam by applied moments) was turned down. The task
of finding an interesting and viable topic is
deceptively difficult, I'm limited by the less than
generous budget and outdated facilities, therefore i
have to think small. The materials i was originally
thinking of using were timber,steel or concrete.&nbsp;
Anything i can think of has already been covered over
the course of the last 20 years by previous
graduates</DIV>
<DIV>I&nbsp;would be most appreciative if anyone out
there can throw any ideas my way,</DIV>
<DIV>Thanking you in advance,</DIV>
<DIV>Dave Mc Swiney</DIV></DIV></DIV></div><br
clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer
at <a

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* *******
******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
*
*   This email was sent to you via Structural
Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC)
server. To
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any
email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be
re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our
web
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org
********