RE: Rust never Sleeps

Thanks for the replies, confirmed what I suspected. I am recommending they
wire brush the underside of the deck to bright metal or concrete, repaint
with zinc rich paint, drill small drain holes at 4 bad spots, re waterproof
top side of concrete and install new steel beams below, and fire proof the
new beams. The bad spots were caused by a leaking membrane at the recessed
floor door closers and 15 years of mopping the floor. The door closers are
being replaced with top mounted ones.

Jeff Smith

|~|
|~|
|~|Hello there!
|~|
|~|It needs moisture & oxygen to actuate Corrosion; but once
|~|trigerred it never
|~|stops, although it can be contained. Its like a cancer in a living body.
|~|
|~|SYED FAIZ AHMAD; MENGG, MASCE
|~|SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
|~|SAUDI OGER LTD
|~|RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA.
|~|
|~|
|~|
|~|>From: "Sprague, Harold O." <SpragueHO(--nospam--at)bv.com>
|~|>To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
|~|>Subject: RE: Rust never Sleeps
|~|>Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:51:12 -0500
|~|>
|~|>Jeff,
|~|>
|~|>The deck will continue to corrode, but the rate of corrosion will be
|~|>reduced.  Given that it is a composite design, it follows that the
|~|>structural integrity will be further reduced.
|~|>
|~|>Regards,
|~|>Harold O. Sprague
|~|>
|~|
|~|
|~|_________________________________________________________________
|~|Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at
|~|http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
|~|
|~|
|~|******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
|~|*   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
|~|*
|~|*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
|~|*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
|~|*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
|~|*
|~|*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
|~|*
|~|*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
|~|*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
|~|*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
|~|*   site at: http://www.seaint.org
|~|