Re: Slurry

Sharon,

Some thoughts on filling voids under treated mudsills on grade:

A lean concrete slurry or controlled low-strength soil/cement material is
likely to shrink as it cures, leaving narrow voids under the mudsills.

It may be difficult to be sure that the voids are well filled: trapped air
may prevent complete filling with a slurry.

Would hand-placement of compacted soil be practical?  I'm visualizing
excavating to make access to the voids and compacting with hand tools.  In
order to solve a similar problem, I've use a hammer, with the head as my
handle, and the butt-end of the handle as the compacting surface; wet the
soil so that it can be molded by squeezing in the hand, to a stable shape
that breaks when you try to deform it.

Be sure to solve the cause of erosion -- if not, the new, harder material
may redirect the flow of water which may cut new erosion channels.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net