Re: STAAD joint/member naming conventions

Dear Mark,

There are 2 ways of handling the numbering of joints/member/elements,
depending upon how you generate your input.

Case-1
You use graphic interface for generating the geometry, i.e the joints & the
members. In this case you do not have much control over the numbers, as they
are automatically assigned, as you keep on
drawing/adding/generating/repeating members. Although you have the
"Renumber" & "Group" members facility once you finish feeding the geometry.
It may be the easier way for some people to generate geometry, but it
becomes very difficult later on to coordinate the design results & in
translation of the results onto the drawings, as you are well aware of.

Case-2
Use the editor to generate the geometry. At first thought, it seems tedious
work to feed all the coordinates & the incidences, but over the past 12
years (since version 6, when there was no graphic interface), we have
developed a foolproof method of generating the geometry of building
structures, which I am giving step by step below.

1) Take the framing plan of the first level, and add onto that all the other
members that may not be on that level, but may be present on some other
levels. So that you have all the possible framing members on all the levels,
on all the floors, drawn onto a single framing plan.

2) Start numbering the joints (on paper) from top left corner to right
proceeding downwards as you complete the rows.

3) Start numbering the beams (on paper) from the top grid, left to right,
and after finishing the topmost row, proceed to the next row, till you
complete all the rows, then start on the beams on the vertical grids bottom
to top starting from the left most grid, and proceed rightwards on to the
grids. If you have approx less than 70 beams on 1 floor, you can start the
numbering from 101, 102.... keeping the 171 onwards for the columns, and if
more than 70 but less than 700 beams, then start from 1001, 1002.....
keeping 1701 onwards for the columns. Normally I keep 70 beams is to 30
columns ratio.

4) Draw diagonal lines on the plan (paper) for each column & number them
from 171, 172.... or 1701, 1702.... in the order you have named your joints,
i.e. top left to right & the proceeding downwards.

5) Once this paperwork is finished this paper is the map of each member on
each floor. Simply feed the joints of 1 floor on the editor, and repeat "n"
number of times for "n" floors

6) Feed the beams incidence of each floor & repeat "n" times with a member
increment of 100 if you are using 100 series or an increment of 1000 if you
are using 1000 series. This way the beam at the same location on plan on any
floor will always have the same last 2 or 3 digits same, and the first (if
you have less than 10 floors) or the first 2 (if you have between 10 & 99
floors) will represent the level or the floor number. So you can use your
paper map to identify any member on any level instantaneously.

7) Repeat with columns.

8) Feed rest of the data from the editor or graphic interface, like
properties (again easy to feed from the editor because of logical sequencing
of your members, and the properties being the same location wise on each
floor), loads etc.

9) Go to graphic interface, and draw section of each level, to erase the
members not present on these level.

That is it.

Again I must say this only seems to be complicated, but is very systematic
with the following advantages

1) You have instant identification of all the members, and remember that you
had to manually feed the coordinates & the incidences of only one floor.

2) Once you are translating the results on to the drawings, just try to
imagine the advantage you will have, specially in columns & continuous RCC
beams.

3) I have never taken more than 1 working day, to generate any buildings
model (I have done buildings upto 300,000 sq. ft, and upto 22 floors), and
saved tremendous amount of time in translating the results onto the
drawings.

I hope, I have been able to be of help. If you, or anybody else, want a
sample data file, generated this way, I will be pleased to e-mail a couple
of them for reference.

Regards

Pankaj Gupta
Structures Online