Re: Pipe Rack

--- Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
>  The question is should
> I calc the expansion and induced stresses on the 30'
> or the 210'.  The beams
> are welded to the column caps 1/4" fillet 6" each
> side. I thought that 2 -
> 1"expansion joints would be necessary. Any thoughts

If you are referring to the expansion and stresses in
the steel supports, direct temperature effects (due to
changes in normal atmospheric conditions, noted by
you) on the steel supports are, typically, ignored.
However, a fraction of the load from the pipes is
applied on the top of the pipe support structure, in
the direction of the pipe run. If you have several
pipes on the rack, it is typical to apply 10% of the
load from the pipes. There is adequate flexibility in
the system to accommodate direct thermal effects.

Rajendran