Re: Bolt Tightening - Turn of the nut method

> If the "Turn of Nut" method is adopted for monitoring the bolt tension is it
> not right to say that the turn indicates the compression of the flanges
rather than
> tension in the bolt ?
Do a free body diagram of the unloaded bolt. The internal tension in the
bolt is balanced by equal and opposite forces an the bolt head and nut.
These forces are in turn carried into the flanges and reacted by equal
and opposite external forces on the flange which produce internal flange
compression equal to the external forces. The flange compression
therefore equals the bolt tension.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw