RE: Toe plate required for BOCA stair?

I am not aware of any requirements for toe plates in the standard building codes - they generally specify requirements based on the diameter sphere which can pass thru the railing. However, a toeplate can help reduce the open space within a railing. OSHA requires toe plates where below the railing: persons can pass, there is moving machinery, or where falling materials could create a hazard (i.e., a toe plate is not "always" required). Thus a toe plate is generally related to equipment areas and should not be required for general "people" areas.
-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Peoples [mailto:kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 10:46 AM
To: seaint
Subject: Toe plate required for BOCA stair?

I am reviewing a stair/landing that does not have a 4" high toe plate.  I know that OSHA requires this, but the applicable code might be BOCA.  I can't find anything in BOCA that says that any toe plate is required.  Is it hidden somewhere, or is it just not required?
Thanks in advance,
Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates