From: Roger Davis [mailto:rdavis(--nospam--at)sdsarch.com]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 2:10 PM
To: 'Seaint'
Subject: When is a wall a column?

ACI 530 defines a wall as "A vertical element with a horizontal length to
thickness ratio greater that 3, used to enclose space."  That indicates that
a vertical section 12" x 36" is a column but a 12" x 37" section is a wall.
I can not find a similar definition for a concrete member.  At what plan
view ratio do you switch from designing a member as a column to designing it
as a wall?

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.