Re: when is a wall a column...now lateral ties for walls

Conrad raises an interesting issue regarding lateral ties for
confinement of vertical reinforcment in concrete walls with two
curtains.

Under in-plane deformation, under certain conditions, ACI 318-99
requires lateral ties to confine the vertical reinforcement at the ends
of walls, but not between the ends.

Under out-of-plane deformation, the requirement for confining
vertical reinforcement in a wall is not so clear.  If one expects high
compression strains in a two-curtain bearing wall due to out-of-
plane deformation, then presumably confinement reinforcement in
the region of the high strains would be prudent.  Is anyone aware of
literature that specifically addresses the issue of confinement for
reliable out-of-plane seismic performance of doubly-reinforced
concrete walls?

Dave