From: Conrad Guymon [mailto:conrad(--nospam--at)karren.com]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 3:53 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: When is a wall a column?

Robert C. Rogers wrote:

"Also note that ACI 14.3.6 tells you that if the
predominant mode of loading is flexural and not compressive and the ties
are not needed for the compression reinforcement then they can be
ommitted (i.e., just vertical rebar and meeting the horizontal rebar
requirements per 14.3.4).  Hope this helps....

If you are in an area of seismic risk, I wouldn't omit the ties..."

Conrad