Re: Bolt Tightening - Turn of the nut method

>Actually since the T.O.N. method imposes a fixed change in length to the
>bolt, occuring over the grip length, it follows that the shorter the grip
>length the greater the bolt tension.
You're right. The flange stiffness also increases with decreasing flange
thickness. I think I said it decreases. It follows that what happens is
that the bolt load increases for thinner flanges, but that the flange
stiffness relative to the bolt bprobably doesn't change much. I botched
that one. I'm the one who should go back into his machine design
texbook...

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw