RE: How Can Force in "All Thread" be Determi

Roger:

If homebuilder Hank is going to tension the beam with a tire iron and
framing hammer I think you could measure the elastic shortening of the wood
beam and then from strain compatability you could figure the force in the
rod.  The problem is wood creeps and shrinks and  the rod relaxes and how is
this accounted for?

For a reinforced beam I would calculate the transformed section and check
the allowable stresses in the wood and rod, but how do you calculate the
allowable load or strength on a post-tensioned wood beam?

Is the reinforcement mainly for load balancing or for added strength?

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division
Development Services Department