RE: How Can Force in "All Thread" be Det

Roger:

I am assuming that the prestressing "rods" will be exposed (as in out in
the open air).  If so, then you might be able to determine the approixmate
tension in the rod based upon the amount self-weight deflection of the
rods.  It basically becomes a basic structural analysis problem (the rod
will have moment due to self-weight with resulting deflection and tension
due to the prestressing which will reduce the deflection due to
self-weight).  For a desired prestressing force in the rods, you can then
tell the contractor how much the rod should be deflecting.  It is not
exact but will get you in the ballpark and is fairly low tech (in
otherwords, cheap).  I have used this method to pretension some tension
rods in a roof structure that were used to take some of the lateral forces
due to wind (the rods were in a horizontal plane).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI