RE: SE Licensing in Washington State, Exam Results

Interesting discussion on the WA SE III exam. I was one of the 61 of 67 who
didn't pass the exam last spring.

Having written the CE, SE I, California Seismic and California Surveying
exams in the last couple of years I would have to say that this exam was by
far the toughest of the lot. It was very code intensive and time critical.
If you didn't have a detailed understanding of the 97 UBC and the materials
codes you just would not have enough time to get through it. Even if you did
it would be tight. The 9% pass rate reflected this.

I don't think any of the questions were particularly "unfair" but they were
detailed and demanding.

While safety of design is a legitimate testing area, I'm not so sure that
volume of design is really all that critical. At least for licensing
purposes. For making a buck in the real world, it's obviously important. But
very few engineers that I know would be putting out the volume of work in a
four hour period which was demanded in this exam.

I can't whine too much though. I wasn't as well prepared for the exam as I
should have been so the "study harder" advice is right on for me.

Good luck to anyone who is writing the exam this month!

John MacLean