From: Vitor Faustino Pereira [mailto:vitor(--nospam--at)estrutural.eng.br]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 12:21 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Structural system for diaphragm

Dear friends

I am design a roof for a building with precast concrete walls (tilt-up
system).

I am not taking into account the contribution of steel decks to form the
diaphragm. The diaphragm is structured only with bars forming a horizontal
truss.

As the buliding, a warehouse, is very large (85mX140m), I am design an
independent structure for horizontal bracing (diaphragm) and another
structure for vertical loads.

In the interior of the building I have columns each 20 meters in one
direction
and 17,5 meters in the other direction. My intention is to not transfer
horizontal loads to the top of the columns, but only to the exterior walls.
The structure for the diaphragm is formed by diagonals with 26,6 meters
length and bars linking the top of the columns and walls with 20 or 17,5
meters lenght.

As the compression forces on the bars are very high (due to wind and
temperature actions) I am having problems in choosing their sections.

I would apreciate contributions of the members of this list in the following

questions:

a-) Is it common to structure a diphragm so large?
b-) The decision of separate the structures for horizontal and vertical
loads is
a good decision?
c-) What kind of sections would be more indicated in this case?
d-) Any other sugestion will be apreciated.

Thank you for the contributions.

Vitor

Eng. Civil Vitor Faustino Pereira
Estrutural Projetos e Consultoria de Estruturas S/C Ltda.
Rua Souza Naves 282, sala 402 - CEP 86010-170 - Londrina - Pr - Brasil
Tel/FAX: 0XX-43-3225400
email: vitor(--nospam--at)estrutural.eng.br
office site: www.estrutural.eng.br