Code Compability

Gentlemen

It has been my experience that when you have an existing building designed under one code, lets say UBC 94, and you attach a new building to the existing, years later, that the existing building needs to be brought up to the code of the new building, hence UBC 97.  Is this always the case? I have had buildings in the past that had to be separated because the old building (old code) could not feasiblely be brought up to the new building code. Depending on which codes, I bet this could be done most of the time, but when you are talking about UBC 94 to 97 in seismic zone 4, with a lot of mass, bringing the old up to new cant be done for a penny or two!

Thanks in Advance
Ryan