RE: field bending reinforcing

You don't need research and code books to show the loose in strength of field bent rebar, just look at a bar that has been warmed up with a torch, and I have seen this. The outer radius looks like fibers splt and broken out much like taking a handfull of spegetti and braking them in the center. To sharp of a cold bent will show transverse cracks as well.  There are hickey bars for field bending that leave a radius above the cast in portion.  This is done for bars #5 and under when bending wall bars into top slabs for resisdential work.

Jeff