RE: Reducing required cover of non-prestressed c.i.p. concrete

I would not rely on the stone veneer or drainboard to provide any protection. Xypex is normally applied to the surface to react with the concrete to form a crystalline waterproofing. It probably helps, but I would not "solely" rely on it either. If corrosion protection is the main concern, I would apply a thick film flexible coating such as Semstone by Sentry Polymers or Polibrid by Polibrid Coating Inc. These coatings can bridge cracks and provide corrosion protection.
-----Original Message-----
From: Pat Clark [mailto:bcinc(--nospam--at)nanosecond.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2001 3:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Reducing required cover of non-prestressed c.i.p. concrete

I have an 8" concrete wall that includes a section with reinforcing that has encroached to within 3/4" of the form.  Parts of this area are covered with 8" of stone veneer (exposed to wheather), and part is to be covered with earth (sealed with drainboard applied).  The concrete included the Zypex (sp?) additive.

My questions are:

Will the protection provided by the veneer allow a reduction in cover?

Will the additive allow a reduction in cover due to extra protection?

Thanks for any comments.

Pat Clark, P.E.