FEMA 350 Connection

I am detailing a Welded Unreinforced Flange - Welded Web Connections (WUF-W)
per section 3.5.2 of FEMA 350 (pages 3-28 to 3-31)

I am having trouble understanding the detail where it shows the shear tab
weld to the column flange. There are two welds shown connecting the tab to
the column. The first weld is a Full Pen Weld on the Far side (Indicated
with Note 3) and the other weld is a Partial Penetration Weld with a Fillet
Weld shown on the near side (Indicated with Note 5).

Are these supposed to be options (i.e. choose 1) ? Note 5 calls for a
partial pen on the far side, but the weld symbol indicates near side. I am
confused because they are showing both welds. If there is a CJP weld on one
side, how can I partial pen the other side ?

Please enlighten me.

thanks,
-gerard

Gerard Madden, PE
Design Group Manager

Duquette Engineering
10 South Third Street
San Jose, CA 95113
T: 408.494.0944 - ext 102
F: 408.494.0940
E: gmadden(--nospam--at)duquette-eng.com
w: www.duquette-eng.com