Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

FEMA 350 Connection

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I am detailing a Welded Unreinforced Flange - Welded Web Connections (WUF-W)
per section 3.5.2 of FEMA 350 (pages 3-28 to 3-31)

I am having trouble understanding the detail where it shows the shear tab
weld to the column flange. There are two welds shown connecting the tab to
the column. The first weld is a Full Pen Weld on the Far side (Indicated
with Note 3) and the other weld is a Partial Penetration Weld with a Fillet
Weld shown on the near side (Indicated with Note 5).

Are these supposed to be options (i.e. choose 1) ? Note 5 calls for a
partial pen on the far side, but the weld symbol indicates near side. I am
confused because they are showing both welds. If there is a CJP weld on one
side, how can I partial pen the other side ?

Please enlighten me.


Gerard Madden, PE
Design Group Manager

Duquette Engineering
10 South Third Street
San Jose, CA 95113
T: 408.494.0944 - ext 102
F: 408.494.0940
E: gmadden(--nospam--at)

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********