Re: Retaining Wall Design

use 30 lb/cu. ft. equivalent fluid pressure if the backfill is level
behind the wall and 45 lb./cu. ft. equiv. fluid pressure if 2:1 slope
behind. This is a simple quick way to approx. the forces and one which is
used quite often in practice. This is assuming a perforated drain pipe
near the bottom, with rock around it, to drain away water which
percolates into the backfill.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA