Re: Retaining Wall Design

Alp,

	There were some letters on a related topic - Soil Stiffness - on or
about August 17, published on this list.  These earlier letters
suggested using higher values than 30 psf for lateral earth pressure.  I
personally favor 0.4 to 0.5 times the vertical earth pressure (which
usually results in about 50 to 60 psf horizontal pressure) when I design
retaining walls; but others consider this too conservative.  You might
want to review the earlier responses and form your own opinion.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson