Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2001 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: Retaining Wall Design

Alp,

There were some letters on a related topic - Soil Stiffness - on or about August 17, published on this list.  These earlier letters suggested using higher values than 30 psf for lateral earth pressure.  I personally favor 0.4 to 0.5 times the vertical earth pressure (which usually results in about 50 to 60 psf horizontal pressure) when I design retaining walls; but others consider this too conservative.  You might want to review the earlier responses and form your own opinion.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson