Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: FEMA 350 Connection

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

It appears that one of the two welds here is for welding the beam web to
the column and the other is for welding the shear tab to the column. The
CJP weld (Note 3) is for welding the beam web to the column. I say this
since at the bottom of page 3-28 is the statement "Web joints for these
connections are made with complete joint penetration groove welds of the
beam web to the column flange." The weld symbol has the far side symbol
since it is on the far side of the shear tab as the detail is drawn.

As you pointed out, the partial pen weld indicated Note 5 is very
confusing. It is for welding the shear tab to the column, but I don't
understand why the Note 5 text says it is far side, since the symbol
does not say this. Also, is the fillet weld shown in the symbol supposed
to go on top of the partial pen weld as the symbol says, or does it
really go on the opposite side of the shear tab? It is strange that no
fillet weld is mentioned in Note 5.

Also, I wonder what gap should be detailed between the beam web and the
face of the column? 

I'm just starting to study try to learn about these details myself, and
it looks like it's going to be a challenge.

Gerard Madden wrote:
> I am detailing a Welded Unreinforced Flange - Welded Web Connections (WUF-W)
> per section 3.5.2 of FEMA 350 (pages 3-28 to 3-31)
> I am having trouble understanding the detail where it shows the shear tab
> weld to the column flange. There are two welds shown connecting the tab to
> the column. The first weld is a Full Pen Weld on the Far side (Indicated
> with Note 3) and the other weld is a Partial Penetration Weld with a Fillet
> Weld shown on the near side (Indicated with Note 5).
> Are these supposed to be options (i.e. choose 1) ? Note 5 calls for a
> partial pen on the far side, but the weld symbol indicates near side. I am
> confused because they are showing both welds. If there is a CJP weld on one
> side, how can I partial pen the other side ?
> Please enlighten me.
> thanks,
> -gerard
> Gerard Madden, PE
> Design Group Manager
> Duquette Engineering

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********