Re: Noise from screwed steel roof deck

Bob and Scott,
Thanks for the opinions. It turns out that the cause of the noise is
definitely thermal movement. The architect went to the job site around
6:00 am one morning, when it was still dark, and said he heard almost no
noise.

I've had a couple of other jobs where we used this system and did not
have any noise problem, so I tried to think of any differences between
those jobs and this one.  I remembered that those jobs had acoustical
deck, another item that was value engineered out of this job. It seems
to me that the glass fiber insulation in each deck cell of acoustical
deck would have a dampening affect and would probably keep any popping
sounds from propagating across the roof like a drum head.

Rick Burch