RE: Fillet Welds

Charlie
Is in true that the whole idea of notching web near the flanges is to allow
for the plastic rotation and allow the shear loads to be taken by the web
connection, otherwise you could develope shear forces based on flexural
yielding ve=2Mpr/L.   Hence the weld on the flanges should be designed for
axial tension capacity of the flange or Mpr value, 1.25 Fy.?
Just like to understand this better.
Thanks for your input.
Samir Ghosn, P.E.
harris & Associates