RE: Australian PE Registration

Title: RE: Australian PE Registration

Drew A. Norman wrote:

I am fully aware that the fellow may have stepped in deep doo-doo by representing himself as a licensed professional engineer and offering an engineering opinion on a life-safety issue in California when he is not licensed to practice here.  The degree to which I am willing to

personally take him to task (and/or to report him to authorities) depends on whether he has the technical (albiet not the legal) qualifications needed to allow him to form an professional opinion, and on whether there was a reasonable basis for his statement that the building in question is safe (he'd have to know something I don't, but there are people who do).

I think the appropriate response to an unqualified person who is offering professional opinions and thereby constitutes an immediate danger to the public (call the cops?) is different than the appropriate response to a professional who offered an informed an appropriate opinion based on a

reasonable evaluation of data and who is guilty only of being unfamiliar with the local regulations (make sure he knows that he needs to get a local license?).  At this point, I don't know which I've got.  I would be interested in the thoughts of my colleagues ...

Drew:

If you were still in Texas, or if California were a colony of Texas (not yet annexed), you wouldn't have any choice.  Texas law requires all licensed engineers to promptly report all suspected violations of the Texas Engineering Practice Act and the PE Board Rules by other licensed engineers and by unlicensed induhviduals.  Failure to report violations could put an engineers own license in jeopardy.  In other words, the profession is forced to "police its own".  Having practiced as a PE under this policy for a 25 years, I find that I have no problem with it.  I have reported at least a half-dozen unlicensed practitioners, and one wayward PE.  The latter isn't very happy with me, but that isn't my problem.

I recommend that you document your evidence on the Aussie imposter, organize it, and ship it off to BORPELS today.

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Your Colleague in Dallas