RE: Fillet Welds on face of column

On 10/16/01, Paul Feather wrote:

>.....the strength of fillet welds in tension transverse to the weld axis
>is actually up to 50% higher than the permitted values in the AISC
>Specifications (AISC HSS Connections Manual, pg2-3).

I recently attended an AISC seminar on design of structural steel
connections at which we were given a copy of the "new" LRFD Spec. (print
date 12/27/99) which as I understand it will be part of the LRFD 3rd Edition
Manual to be available some time next month.  At any rate, I learned the new
LRFD spec (Eqn. A-J2-1) makes provision for directly accounting for the 50%
increase in the strength of fillet welds in tension transverse (i.e. theta =
90 degrees) to the weld axis.

BTW, I'd highly recommend the seminar if you have a chance to attend one in
your area (even it is based on LRFD:) ).

David L. Williams, P.E.
Vice-Pres., Snyder Engineering, Inc.
409 Vandiver Drive, Bldg. 5, Ste 203
Columbia, MO  65202