Re: Flat Bottom Tank Anchorage

<< I have question regarding the design the anchor bolts for a circular tank
with bottom fully supported on concrete pad.  When a lateral load is applied
to the tank, assume no fiction between the tank and the pad, the lateral load
is resisted by the shear capacity of the anchor bolts.>>

If the tank bottom is supported on ground, shear is not a worry.  The anchor
bolts are only designed for overturning forces.  To quote AWWA D100,
Paragraph 13.3.3.7.5, "Ground-supported tanks full of product have not been
found to slide off their foundation.  When a sliding check is required by
purchaser, a coefficient of friction equal to tan 30 can be assumed."  I
suggest to spend your time checking anchor tension due to overturning, plate
buckling, pinching of the shell at the anchor chair, and all the other
important stuff.

Carl Sramek
Los Alamitos, CA