RE: MCE Acceleration

Rajendran,

  From where are you doing the design?  Normally, I wouldn't care, but this
region in the US deserves special care.  We know that it has a potential for
very large earthquakes, M8+.  Fortunately/unfortunately, the last earthquake
happened in the early 1800's.  Obviously, we have no measurements.  What we
know of the earthquake is only what we can infer from geologic changes.
While we may have very good geologists/seismologists, they have to work from
data of one series of events, almost two hundred years ago, in an
unpopulated area, in a river basin known to change its course by miles.
(You get the picture.)  I would highly suggest that you contact a local
structural engineer, maybe in Memphis, Tennessee or St. Louis, Missouri.  If
you are in the US, then the University of Missouri at Rolla would be able to
provide assistance.

Mark Jones
Jacobs Engineering

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.