Re: Flat Bottom Tank Anchorage

Mr. Yang,

I would like to answer your question from the viewpoint of an engineering mechanics solution versus an engineering design solution.

If you strictly look at this problem from an engineering mechanics point of view, maximum shear in the tank wall at a horizontal plane just above the base occurs at the 90 deg and 270 deg locations (if 0 degrees indicates the direction of the applied load). Minimum shear occurs at 0 deg and 180 deg. You can see this in Roark's FORMULAS FOR STRESS AND STRAIN (5th ed.), Table 17, Case 19. Shear forces in the bolts would be calculated using tributary lengths of arc around the perimeter of the circular tank wall.

One engineering design approach is to assume redistribution of the lateral forces to all the bolts equally. Others may take into account the friction force between the tank base and the subgrade. There is nothing wrong with this approach.

My suggestion is to follow an established tank design code with regard to the anchorage design requirements and do not worry about calculating the exact forces in every anchor bolt.

Walter Sawruk
Senior Consultant
ABS Consulting
5 Birdsong Court