RE: Flat Bottom Tank Anchorage

>If I put a
>point load at the top of the tank, would I get some reasonable result for
>the reactions on the pinned support comparing to what a real life anchor
>bolt might experience?
You're doing it about right, but try a couple of things.

First, only model half the tank and put symmetry boundary conditions on
the half model. That will insure symmetric loading, a quicker solution
and model generation.
Second, load it with a distributed load acting sideways horizontally
parallel to the plane of symmetry. A constant horizontal acceleration is
best, but you'll have to use a fairly high acceleration to include the
contents properly. A point load at the top of the tank is a little too
far out.
Third, use hydrostatic pressure to model the hydrostatic pressure
contents: uniform pressure on the bottom and linearly distributed loading
on the sidewalls
Fourth fix the tank bottom against vertical displacements, but not
horizontal displacements.
Fifth if you have a ring girder at the bottom include it in your model
with beam elements to reproduce the stiffness.

With only horizontal loading you'll end up making the tank into some sort
of cantilever which wouldn't truly simulate the response of the tank.
Your tank is short enough so shearing effects and the exact boundary
conditions will affect the response very strongly. The shear flow
distribution which obtains for pure bending may not develop at all.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw