gaps in stepped footing

** Proprietary **

Hi,

I noticed it is very common here in MO,  for residential foundation with stepped footings to leave a 30'' horizontal gap between the steps, with only rebar(s) (probably two #4s) extended to the lower level for 12".  Is it a good practice ?   Any potential problems ?
Please Help !

Thank you.

Helen Zhou, P.E.