Re: Swimming Pool Enclosures - Timber vs. Steel

Peder

We have done several pool buildings in Anchorage and Fairbanks that have
included both wood and steel structures.  The concern with both is
condensation on or within the structure.  Having a well controlled
atmosphere is critical for long term performance of the structural
system.  The Alaska yellow cedar is a good choice because of its natural
resistance to decay.  I would extended it through the decking as well
since the decking may be in the location of the dew point.  The first
pool in Anchorage was glulam arches with 4 " T&G decking.  Inadequate
insulation lead to the dew point being within the wood, actually down in
the arch, which then rotted out.  The building no longer exists.  More
resent construction has used untreated Douglas fir glulams and are
performing well.  We have also used metal deck over open web steel
joists supported on tube steel trusses.  A high quality vapor barrier
and adequate insulation needs to be installed over the decking to keep
the dew point above the vapor barrier at all times thus removing the
potential for condensation on the steel or within the wood. In addition,
a high quality paint system needs to be specified for added protection
of the steel.

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.