Re: RESIDENTIAL: Rafters Not Meeting At Ridge Plate -- Staggered Spacing

Bill Polhemus wrote:

> Also, secondarily the contractor apparently "forgot" to install a ridge vent
> in the roof. There are only two turbine vents in the entire roof (this for a
> house with approx. 1,500 sq. ft. of footprint area). Since I'm seeing a
> "rippling effect" in some of the roof decking, I'm assuming that there's
> "bad stuff" happening with excess heat in the attic space.
>
> What are the implications of improper venting of the attic space? Any
> thoughts on this?

Bill,
A possible cause of rippling or buckling of plywood sheathing is
omitting the 1/8" gaps that should be provided at the edges of each
panel. If there is also inadequate ventilation, it only makes the
problem worse. There is a good discussion at the link below. Scroll down
to the section "When panels bow".

http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/detailing.html

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC