RE: RESIDENTIAL: Rafters Not Meeting At Ridg

Bill,

Also, if the ridge board is flimsy enough, in it's weak axis, that it can
move alot horizontally then the rafter has to have a vertical reaction on
each end.  Otherwise there is not equilibrium [unless the sheathing starts
to carry the load somewhere].  This means the ridge board starts to behave
like a ridge beam and carries vertical load and the connection at the upper
end of the rafter has to transfer a vertical reaction to the ridge board.
3-8d toenails won't carry too much snow without dipping into your safety
factor and 1x4's are pretty wimpy in biaxial bending.

If the rafters don't butt on a ridge board the roof does not meet the
prescriptive conventional requirements and should be designed by an engineer
per UBC 2320.1 and UBC 2320.2.

Respectfully,

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer