Re: Swimming Pool Enclosures - Timber vs. Steel

Wish my memory were a little better, but 30+ years ago I did a public
swimming pool building with a glu-lam beam and 4" decking roof.
Unfortunately I'm not sure of the details, but if memory serves the wood was
NOT pressure-treated but the hardware (glu-lam connections) was galvanized.
Some research at the time indicated that in spite of the pool the humidity of
the air near the ceiling (roof) was expected to be low enough not to be
concerned about rot, because of ventilation.  I don't recall significant
concern about the chlorine, but I may have just forgotten about it.  I went
back about 20 years later and climbed up to the ceiling/roof and examined the
framing but found no obvious/visible indications of problems, except for a
small amount of delamination at a sharp bend in the glu-lams where several
lams were cut off on a taper.

Wish I remembered more details.  If you're in the Pacific Northwest contact
me and I'll tell you where it is.  (I forget where the original questioner is
located.)

There was one concern about chorine because it turned out that the
ventilation air intake for the a/c system was on the same side of the
building as the chlorine bottles, but that got worked out somehow.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA