UCBC97

Is there anyone who is familiar with UCBC97?  I have a unreinforced stone
masonry building, 2 stories in zone 4.  Section A114.2, part 1, of the code
says that if the wall meets the height to thickness ratio in table A-1-B,
then it doesn't need any bond beams at the roof and second floor level.  But
I'm a little confused by the next paragraph, which seems to me saying bond
beams shall be provided at the roof and second-floor levels, without any
limiting condition.  Also in section A110.2, the exception states that if
the wall meets the height-to-thickness ratio, it doesn't need any
out-of-plane bracing, i.e. bond beam etc.  Any clarification on this is
appreciated.

Yi Yang
Santa Rosa, CA