Re: Destruction of Kurram Village, Afghanistan

Bill,

I was going to stay out of this, but my cage has finally been rattled.

Asking the amount of money it will take is not asking the right question.
However, we do need to figure out the answer to some important questions,
and then figure out what to do about the answers.

Here are some questions that I think need to be on the table in an open
national dialogue.  I don't know the right answers but without the right
answers we're certain to do the wrong things.

Why does ObL and Al Queda have the ability to recruit, not only the hopeless
destitute poor, but talented, well trained people to willingly kill
themselves while they kill civilians in a foreign land?  It is certainly not
because they begrudge us our freedoms, as our President implied in his
speech -- could it be because they are seeking freedom, opportunity and self
determination for themselves, their nations and their families?  That sounds
like an American idea to me -- but could it be?

Why does the American money that goes to the Arabian peninsula and other
Arab countries not get past the wealthy to reach the destitute poor?  Why do
we keep sending it there anyway?

Why are American troops needed in the Country in which millions of Muslim
pilgrims visit the holiest sites of Islam?  Is it to protect access to
inexpensive fuel?  Is the cost turning out to be higher than we thought?

Why does McWorld need to force itself past national boundaries to undermine
and erode age-old cultural values?  Is it so  that big business can make big
bucks?  Is that really in our best interest?

Why don't our leaders tell us that these are important questions that we as
a nation should be talking about until we get good answers?

Why don't our leaders tell us that these are important questions that we as
a nation should be talking about until we get good answers?  That is a
purposely repeated question, and I'll say it again

Why don't our leaders tell us that these are important questions that we as
a nation should be talking about until we get good answers?.

Justice has two sides right now.  We need to get ObL and dismantle Al Queda,
but that is only one side of Justice.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA