Drift requirements for industrial buildings

Do the drift requirements in BOCA and UCB apply to industrial facilities. I
have a 280' tall industrial building, first 90' reinforced concrete the
remaining 190' steel. The only way of complying with the code drift
requirements is to add shear walls in the lower concrete section. It seems
to me that for industrial buildings these requirements should be relaxed.
Thanks for all answers.

John Holliday P.E.